The Private Pilot program requires a minimum of 40 hours of flight training, including:
- 10 hours of solo flight time
- Includes 5 hours of solo cross country flight time
- 3 hours of instrument flight training
- 3 hours of night flight training
Students should purchase or download the following books and materials. Everything listed below is available at the Aircraft General Supply pilot shop on Saint John’s Bluff Road near Craig Airport, or online from any number of sources including Amazon.com. If you’re a returning student and already have some flight training materials, please talk to us before you buy anything else. You do not need to purchase a headset unless you want to; we have Bose X active noise reduction headsets available for rent for just $5 per day.
- A small notebook, pen and pencil
- ASA Pilot Logbook (for recording your training)
- FAA Flight Training Handbooks — Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. If you prefer an online course, DVD or app, you may enjoy Sporty’s Private Pilot Learn To Fly Course (about $200).
- Gleim Private Pilot Knowledge Test Study Guide (for the FAA written exam)
- FAA Private Pilot Airman Certification Standards (ACS) (outline of what to expect on the practical test aka “check ride”)
- Current year edition of FAR/AIM, or digital equivalent (Federal Aviation Regulations and Aeronautical Information Manual).
- Navigation plotter (we recommend this one for ease of use) and E6B flight computer (mechanical or electronic are both acceptable but we recommend the old style mechanical ones)
- Jacksonville Sectional chart (you’ll need a hard copy for training, but you can download and preview a digital version from FAA here)
- FAA Chart Supplement for Florida (formerly known as Airport/Facility Directory). Hard copies are updated periodically by FAA, but you can obtain the information from a variety of online sources and apps including ForeFlight, and also directly from the FAA’s website.
You should also download the following prior to your first lesson:
- Private Pilot Syllabus
- Guide to Radio Communications at Craig Airport
- Private Pilot Pre-Solo Knowledge Test. You will need to complete this and review it with us prior to your first solo. You won’t know most of the answers on day one of training, but should be able to locate the information as you progress through the pre-solo reading material found in the syllabus.
- Holladay Aviation Aircraft Rental Agreement (must be signed and returned before your first lesson)
- Cessna 150 Information Manual — this is a sample manual that you can use for learning about the systems and procedures for our Cessna 150.
- Cessna 150 Checklist
- Cessna 152 Information Manual — this is a sample manual that you can use for learning about the systems and procedures for our Cessna 152.
- Cessna 152 Checklist
- Cessna 172P Information Manual — this is a sample manual that you can use for learning about the systems and procedures for our Cessna 172P.
- Cessna 172P Checklist